Some dates from Hille history:



1170

the place name Hille is first mentioned.

1221

there is a church in Hille.

1400-1500

there are probably 77 single estates of which most are in the present town center or in Ritterbruch. To the largest manors belong the Reimlers Estate (earlier Kirchengut, Vossenhof, and von Oeyhausensche Hof) and the Meierhof (beim Timpen).

1523

the western portion of the present Hille church was built.

1550

the Reformation occurs in Hille.

1564

Hille receives market rights.

1662

a vocational school is built in Brennhorst. A village school already exists.

1682

203 farms or estates are listed in the Hille property tax roll, with the Vossenhof making it 204. Some farms consist of nothing more than gardens or fields.

1721

the Hille distillery is founded.

1726

start of the oldest Hille church records.

1750-1752

the eastern part of the Hille church is built.

1752

the Hille farm register is started. Of the 203 farms of 1682, 167 are listed.

1787

there are 101 hired workers in Hille.

1801

the present church tower of the Hille church is built.

1809-1815

Hille belongs to the French-occupied Westphalia, the kingdom of Westphalia gets, as the Canton of Hille, a Mayoralty.

1809

Hille has 1982 inhabitants.

1815

Hille again becomes an independent district.

1818

Hille has 2100 inhabitants.

1828

397 house numbers are listed in a property tax record.

1843

Hille belongs to the newly founded Hartum Department.

1843

Hille has 2992 inhabitants.

1847

the nutrition situation is very bad due to crop failure and lack of grain stores.

1847

there are 350 property owners and 182 hired worker families in Hille.

1851

the border between Hille and South Hemmern is regulated. Some houses now belong to South Hemmern.

1867

Hille has 325 residences with 1943 inhabitants. Included are Brennhorst with 54 residences and 294 people, Neuenbaum with 48 houses and 266 residents, Gut Mindenerwald with 2 houses and 26 residents, Gut Neuenhof with 2 residences and 14 residents, as well as Wieckriede with 3 residences and 26 inhabitants.

1871

Hille has 2371 inhabitants.

1886

the cigar industry brings new jobs to Hille.

1903

the Minden bus now comes to Hille.

1911-1915

the Middle Land Canal is built through the Hille moor.

1925

population of Hille is 2988.

1936

Hille covers an area of 16,756 Morgen (=10,116 acres).

1939

population of Hille is 3111.

1946

Hille has 4280 inhabitants, including many refugees who later depart.

1952

Hille gets a community coat of arms: 3 cattails indicate the significance of the moors. (since then for the community of Hille a windmill sail has been added).

1955

Hille has 3997 inhabitants.

195?

a “hired-workers” house in Hille that was built in 1685 was demolished.

1966

Street names with house numbers are implemented with over 800 house numbers listed.

1966

a Hille savings and loan bank house-owner list containing both the old house numbers and names as well as the new street names and numbers is issued.

1973

Hille becomes a "large community" consisting now of the villages of Hille, Hartum, North and South Hemmern, Holzhausen, Eickhorst, Rottenuffeln, Oberluebbe, and Unterluebbe, and is in total 103.81 square km large and has 15540 inhabitants. Hille itself has 41.88 square km and 3787 inhabitants.

1978

Hille has 3819 inhabitants.

1988

the “Pohlsche Heide” waste disposal facility begins operation.  Because of a dioxin scandal at the Muenchehagen dump not far from Hille there were protests beforehand.

1989

the Hille "comprehensive" school begins operation.

2000

the greater Hille community has 16,776 inhabitants and an area of 102.99 square kilometers.

 

 

Sources (translated from the german at):

http://www.hille.de/Gemeindeportrait/index_neu.htm and http://www.klemme.org/heimathille.html

 

  • Morgen - Unit of area equal to about .6309 acres. It was used in Germany, Holland and South Africa, and was derived from the German word Morgen ("morning"). It represented the amount of land that could be plowed in a morning.
Source:

http://www.utexas.edu/depts/grg/classes/crum/grg308/readings/survey%20terms.htm

 

Home Previous Next